Quilted Coaster

I warn you, this post is long and full of photos. I tried condensing them down a bit.


So I REALLY REALLY want a make a quilt for Ian’s sister. She is about 5 months pregnant with baby #2! They find out the gender next week. In the meantime, I’m trying my hand at mini quilt projects. Here is number one. This was my absolute FIRST attempt at quilting. Technically this would be considered just Patchwork, since I didn’t “Quilt” through the triangles.. but its a “quilted” coaster none-the-less. :) Here it is in pretty much, a photo-story.

First I drew out a few patterns, and chose the one i liked best.

Then, picked out a few fabrics. 4 for the triangles, and 1 for the backing.

So i cut out my squares, 2 inches by 2inches. then i cut them into triangles. :)

Then I arranged them the way i liked the best.

Next, I sewed together the edges of the triangles with a running stitch adjacent to each other in the design.

After all the little triangles are paired with their mates, the newly formed squares get sewn together now!

And then those newly formed rectangles find their mates and form a square once again!

[SIDE NOTE: I originally wanted then to form a diamond in the center, but after looking at the sewn triangles, I liked the pinwheel better, and changed mid-way through. Haha.]

Better View of finished Center:

I love to watch TV while I do projects. It takes all of the work out of it, if you know what i mean. Rather than sitting at a desk, with a bright light, and forcing myself to focus.

Next, I sewed on the border. I cut 4 strips of Navy Blue fabric and sewed them around the outer edge of my pinwheel.

NEXT! It’s time to put some batting inside. (I didnt have any batting, so i used two layers of felt. HAHA. All the quilters in the world are shaking their heads at me and sighing loudly..) I used a few tack stitches to hold the felt to the Quilt-top.

You may notice the hole cut into the center of the felt. I am also stupid and did not press ANY of my seams and lines while sewing the edges. So now i had a huge bump right in the center where all the triangles joined. So to make it not get bumpier, i cut the hole out so that way, the felt filled in the area, but the bump didn’t get bigger. it went through the felt and sat nice and level.

View of the back after sewing around the batting. It was sort of like sewing a pillow. I put both RIGHT sides of the fabric together, sewed around the outside, and turned it inside out and stitched the open area closed.

FINISHED Product. You can Sit a Nice cold drink on it too.

Advertisements

Rainbows & Burdastyle Dresses

Good Afternoon. :)
I spent the weekend making two nifty projects. I had many colors of felt and i decided to turn them into a rainbow! and i decided to turn that rainbow into a Pillow!

Result:
rainbowfront
rainbowtopsiderainbowside

it’s about 12 inches wide, by 6 inches tall. :) just a cute little pillow. i actually broke one of my sewing machine needles on the many layers of felt. :( i need to purchase more soon!

The second project was WAY more in depth. The website Burdastyle.com has easily become one of my more visited sites. it’s amazing. There are tons of Cheap & FREE Patterns posted by fellow Crafters! You need an account to download the patterns, but its 100% free to join, and you can browse hundreds of photos, patterns, and How-tos and the Burdastyle Forum. :)

After browsing the free patterns (hehe).. I downloaded this one from the site. Called Maryy #6042. the original Dress “Hot Hot Heat” was posted HERE by a girl named Mary From Finland. Her profile is HERE.. Isn’t hers beautiful?. :D I guess with the language barrier, someone else had to make the pattern, and i’m sure glad they did.
patternname I had about 2 yards of midnight blue fabric with little white stars, and some white fabric as well. i decided to use both! I printed the pattern from home, so i had to piece it together. it was pretty easy, i just wish i had more floor space!
patternuncut
patterntapedmacro i had to line up the numbered triangles on each paper. :) and tape like crazy!
After cutting out the pattern:
pattern1

After cutting out the fabric pieces. one big front panel folded over, 1 big back panel folded over. 4 front pieces (doubled), and two back bands. i didn’t know how i wanted the straps to look, so i didn’t cut them out yet… patterncut

i skipped some photos in here. This is the bust part. It was done by sewing together 2 of the top pieces, then squeezing them together to form the center ruffle type thing. :) it was a long process, but it is simplified HERE. dresstopcut
pins1
i pinned together the front and back panels, and sewed down the right side. Then i pinned the white top to the bottom “skirt-like piece to form the whole dress: pins2
And again i skipped some photos…. i sewed the top to the bottom piece, and cut two pieces of the blue star fabric for straps. I sewed the straps to the front and back where i wanted… and POOF!
dressfloordonedresstopdone

Hahaha, ignore my face. :)
dressdone

And a close up of the bust…
frondone

And there you have it. i promise to take more photos. i just got really excited to sew that i didn’t grab my camera at each part! It was relatively easy, i would use the simple instructions for the bust portion next time. my mom says the bust part looks, “like something my grandmother would wear”. i guess its the pinching in the center. i dunno.. i like it!

i have a BIG project I’m starting soon… Super excited to see how it comes out. it’s going to be a Christmas present for Ian. :) I bought some fabric at JoAnn Etc last night… so tonight… it BEGINS!

Take Care,
D